Friday, July 30, 2010

Jay Cee went on a little more mildly.

"What do you have in mind after you graduate?"



      "What I always thought I had in mind was getting some big scholarship to graduate school or a grant to study all over Europe, and then I thought I'd be a professor and write books of poems or write books of poems and be an editor of some sort. Usually I had these plans on the tip of my tongue.
     
      "I don't really know," I heard myself say. I felt a deep shock, hearing myself say that, because the minute I said it, I knew it was true.
     
      It sounded true, and I recognized it, the way you recognize some nondescript person that's been hanging around your door for ages and then suddenly comes up and introduces himself as your real father and looks exactly like you, so you know he really is your father, and the person you thought all your life was your father is a sham.
     
      "I don't really know."


2 comments:

hierophanta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hierophanta said...

i really liked that passage and re-blogged you at http://theresurfacing.blogspot.com/

previous comment deleted b/c of typo


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...